Oshaberi Eikaiwa Kyoshitsu (OEK) – is an independent English Conversation school founded in 1987 .We are located in Shimizu, between Tokyo and Nagoya, near the ocean and about 30 minutes from downtown Shizuoka City, Shizuoka Prefecture.
We consider ourselves lucky to live in this area as we have access to the ocean, rivers and mountains.
We have a great reputation as a language center and our staff of 7 like to think we make a difference.
“Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire.” – W. B. Yeats
- Working schedule is 40 hours, 5 days a week, from Tuesday to Saturday.
- A maximum of 25 contact lessons a week.
- We require a teacher who enjoys teaching all ages and levels of English.
- There is a 12-month renewable contract with a raise in salary.
- A combination of morning starts and afternoon starts.
- A total of six weeks paid vacation per year.
- Will sponsor a working visa.
- Japanese is not essential.
- Furnished accommodation is provided.
We run English programs from parent / toddler classes through to advanced adults, with everything in between. Within each program our small classes are divided into relevant language levels. Each teacher is in charge of a variety of classes for the school year. We also have some private lessons, teach at community centres and kindergartens.
Our students are our priority. We work hard to achieve the best outcomes for them which include the happiness factor.
Our work at OEK :
• Our CHILDRENS classes are based on our original curriculum guidelines, while creating lessons tailored to best support the diverse range of the students’ needs. Phonics, sight-words, reading, writing and of course speaking are components we include in our children’s classes. We do not use any one set text book but instead create every lesson using our great programs, abundant materials, and continued support and job training.
• Our ADULTS classes are from beginners to advanced, with some students having been with us for over 20 years. Students have their regular class times with the ability to make up lessons they are not able to attend. Being skilled in implementing communication techniques that focus off the teacher and onto the students and their abilities and personalities is something we value.
As a team of teachers we have been creating our own programs since 2010, one of them being our fully resourced Phonics program. We commenced this before it started to trend in Japan. We hope our new member of staff will also contribute to these endeavours to explore and expand in our roles as teachers, and discover what can be possible in education. Everybody’s insights are valued.
Patience, flexibility and co-operation are key to working successfully in our close-knit team.
We are a well-resourced school. Our 2 unique schools are located near each other and are traditional Japanese houses. Teaching is floor-based with low tables and cushions. This allows flexible use of classroom space so there is a need to be physically healthy and happy to often get up and down off the floor. If you have health issues with your knees or back, this job is not for you.
For a better understanding of our school please visit us on facebook or our website .
For a more detailed job description, please send us a brief letter of introduction, your CV/resume, contact details of any referees and a recent informal photo.
Applicants whose mother tongue is not English, or who submit incomplete responses will not be considered.
Please note that only candidates who pass the initial screening process will be contacted.
We apologize that we are not able to respond to all applicants.