The Montessori School of Tokyo (MST) is seeking an Operations & Human Resources (HR) Officer to start as soon as possible and preferably from August 2021. Reporting to the Head of School, the ideal candidate has strong organisational and problem-solving skills, is able to execute efficiently and thoroughly, and enjoys collaborating with others. With meticulous attention to detail, he/she will be skilled at handling logistics, HR procedures, administrative support, and facilities management, as well as communicating effectively with staff and the Leadership Team (LT) to ensure the school’s smooth operation.
- To handle logistics for day-to-day school operations.
- To ensure the safety and security of the school community and its facilities.
- To carry out HR practices and procedures in conjunction with/as directed by the LT.
- Handles the facilities and maintenance management across all school buildings and assets, including maintenance schedules.
- Manages relationships with vendors, service providers, real estate agents, etc. with particular regard to maintenance and facilities works; communicates the scheduling and details of these effectively to staff as appropriate.
- Assists with layout planning and reorganisation of spaces, and works with IT staff to manage and maintain necessary technology infrastructure.
- Processes bookings for the school bus.
- Organises scheduling and processes for school safety-related procedures, including road safety, fire drill, emergency evacuation drills, WHS (workplace health and safety), etc.
- Arranges annual health checks for employees, and other health and wellbeing related systems, offerings and procedures, as required.
- Acts as the primary point person for any student or staff injury-related matters.
- Assists the LT with managing the recruitment process.
- Acts as the primary relocation support for international staff including assistance with visa and/or work permit application, apartment contracts/renewal, opening a bank account, and public services related support, amongst other areas.
- Processes and records HR-related items including health insurance, pension, approved leave, etc.
- Processes and records all approved Professional Development.
- Coordinates office staff activities and workload to ensure productivity, flexibility and efficiency in supporting school operations.
- Coordinates school-related domestic and international travel, including flights, accommodation, and transportation.
- Assists in the planning of in-house or off-site community activities.
- Works to ensure the school’s processes are legally compliant by staying abreast of relevant legislation changes.
- Plays a central role in the planning and execution of MST’s annual Summer Camp.
- Oversees the After School Activities (ASA) programme in collaboration with the ASA Coordinator.
- Assists teachers when native Japanese language support is required.
- Staff reception as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- EITHER native Japanese speaker with a high level of proficiency in English, both written and spoken OR native English speaker with a high level of proficiency in Japanese, both written and spoken
- Exceptional organisational and record keeping skills
- Works calmly and effectively under pressure
- Ability to exercise professional judgment in making decisions
- Communicates appropriately, collaboratively, and effectively with relevant stakeholders
- Ability to appropriately manage and safeguard confidential information
- Excellent time management and organisational skills.
- Sophisticated interpersonal and communication skills.
- Process and detail-oriented.
- Knowledge of or ability to research Japanese labour law and Japanese human resources law, as well as other legal and regulatory documents, instruments, and requirements.
- Knowledge of organisational effectiveness and operations management.
- Knowledge of project management.
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles, and data and administrative procedures.
- Experience working in a school environment.
- Willingness to work for at least 3 years at MST.
- Proficient at Google Workspace applications and maintaining databases.
This recruitment process is open immediately and we will be receiving and processing applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled. Only short-listed candidates who meet the above requirements will be contacted.